The Bible Is Not…
A. A Book On Science…even though it contains scientific insights ahead of its time?
On the Universe
- Time and Space – Gen 1:1,3
- The Beginning – Gen 1
- An Initial Void – Gen 1
- An Expanding Universe – Is 40:22
- Space is Empty – Job 26:7
- That Hole In The North – Job 26:7
- Air Has Weight – Job 28:25
- Nature of Stars – Job 38:7; Gen 15:5; Jer 33:22; Heb 11:12
On the Earth
- Atoms – Heb 11:3; Col 1:16-17
- The Earth is a Sphere – Is 40:22
- The Rotation Of The Earth – Job 38:12
- The Orbit of The Sun – Ps 19:4-6
- Gravitational Properties of Constellations – Job 38:31
- Pangaea and Peleg – Gen 10:25
- First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics – Gen 2:1; Heb 1:3; Is 51:6; Heb 1:10-11
- Talking Lightning? – Job 38:35
- The Treasures of The Snow – Job 38:22
- The Hydrologic Cycle – Job 36:27-28; Amos 9:6; Ecc 1:7; Job 37:16
- Measuring The Waters – Is 40:12
- Air Currents – Ecc 1:6
- The Paths Of The Seas – Ps8:4-8
- Mountains Under The Seas – Jonah 2:6
- Springs Under The Seas – Job 38:16
- Value of Pi – 1 Kings 7:23
- Man from Dust – Gen 2
- Adam And Eve – Gen 2
- All Humanity is One Blood
- Life is in the Blood – Lev 17:11
- Blood Clotting in Infants – Gen 17:12
- Seed of a Woman – Gen 3:15
On Medical Knowledge
In the book of Leviticus and Numbers we find laws not practiced by any other society of the time that predate modern medicine which address issues of cleanliness, sanitation, germs, labour, water purification, quarantine, blood, food handling, diet restrictions, and more.
- Sanitary Practices in Moses’ Time – Num 19; Lev 11 &15; Deut 23:12
- Leprosy and Plague.. Hansen’s Disease or a Variety of Infectious Sicknesses – – Lev 13 & 14
- Those Old Time Dietary Guidelines – Lev 11:9-12
B. A Historical Book…
Even though according to many academics, the Bible has proved to be more historically and archaeologically accurate than any other book from the ancient world.
Even though 19th century historians used to deny the existence of the Hittites, the Horites, the Edomites, and various other peoples mentioned in the Bible they have been silenced by 20th and 21st century discoveries that affirm its historical, geographical, and archeological accuracy.
The Bible Is…
A. A Relationship Book
The Bible is a record of the relationship between God and humanity. It’s about past relationships, our ability for relationship with God today, and what our relationship with God will look like in the future.
Adam & Eve – Gen 3:8; Enoch – Gen 5:22-24; Abraham – Gen 17:1; Isaac – Gen 26:24; Jacob – Gen 35:9; Noah – Gen 6:13; Moses – Ex 24:12-13; Samuel – 1 Sam 3:10; David – Ps 23
B. The Word of God
The Bible is the record of what God has literally spoken to and through human vessels (Deut 18:22; 2 Timothy 3:16; Matthew 28:19-20; Revelation 1:17-20; 2 Peter 1:20-21). Since God cannot lie the Bible is without error (Ps 119:160; John 17:17) and complete (Rev 22:18).
C. A revelation of God in Jesus (John 1:18)
Jesus is the central theme of the Bible. In the Hebrew writings (OT) the coming of Jesus to earth is predicted over four hundred and fifty six times. In the Christian writings (NT) we find five hundred and fifty eight fulfillments. Additionally each book gives us a different perspective of who Jesus is (John 1:1-3,14; Heb 1:1-2).
D. Spiritual food that nourishes the soul
While our natural bodies require nutrients, our soul can only by satisfied by the spiritual nourishment the Bible offers. (Psalm 1; Psalm 119; Jer 15:16; Matt 4:4)
‘People do not live by bread alone,but by every word that comes from the mouth of God. ’” Matt 4:4